pasta alla puttanesca
- 1/2 bag of pasta (I used whole wheat penne)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 anchovies
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 28-ounce can of peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- cheese to garnish (optional)- I used Trader Joe’s Parmesan, Romano & Asiago Cheese.
Boil water for pasta. Add pasta and cook according to instructions. You want the pasta al dente. Drain and return pasta to the same pot.
While the water boils, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and anchovies. Let the anchovies melt into a paste. Add the capers, tomatoes, red pepper, oregano, pepper and salt. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Simmer until the pasta is ready to be drained.
Add sauce to pasta and toss over low heat.
Serve with cheese.